Tuesday 28 June 2011

Checking in

Hey all!

How is everyone going with the book? Loving it? Hating it? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Below is one of my favourite parts of The Book Thief, so I thought I would share it with you all.

"How about a kiss, Saumensch?"

He stood waist-deep in the water for a few moments longer before climbing out and handing her the book. His pants clung to him, and he did not stop walking. In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book thief's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them."

This part, especially, touched me. Because is there any love sweeter or more poignant than a love that is never realised? That is never spoken about between the two? Instead it hangs in the air, making the world a little bit brighter for both of them.

But I do so wish that Rudy had gotten that kiss before it was too late.

1 comment: